Tuesday, September 29, 2015

#YourEduStory: Blogging inspiration

This week's topic: Whose blogs do you draw inspiration from and why?

Though I write my own blog, I don't follow any particular blog religiously. Rather, I like to follow media that curates the info into one location. For example: Google +. With a resource like Google + or Twitter, I can peruse many blogs and sites a like. 

The main reason I like blogging is for writing purposes. It provides the perfect platform for writing and for sharing. And the best part is that you have a global audience even if no one is reading. I'm not alone in this either. When I first started blogging on Google's Blogger, I would get followers of my blog specifically. And, I would follow blogs. However, over the past couple of years, I have not noticed many new followers on my blog or others' blogs. Yet, my page views have increased dramatically, which means my views have gone up, but my direct followers have not increased. 

My students are like this as well. It's a shift in how we curate information. In the past we may have followed a few blogs and only assumed that knowledge. Now, we use platforms like Google + to see a wide range of self-selected blog posts. 

So, I can't say I follow a blog in particular. Instead, I peruse Google + multiple times a day, searching for topics that grab me. For me, it's more about the topic than the author. I have co-workers who read for enjoyment and some who read for theory. I read for new applications. I enjoy finding new ways of doing something. I'm about efficiency and productivity. 

My favorite topics:
  • Space 
  • Makerspaces
  • Creation
  • Google - anything
  • Art
  • History
  • Maps
Do you follow anyone in particular or do you follow ideas? I'm about the ideas. 

No comments:

Post a Comment