Monday, October 20, 2014

Day 26: My Blogging Challenge

Welcome to day 26 of my blogging challenge. In case you missed what it's all about, you can read more about it in Day 1.

Today's challenge: What are your three favorite go-to sites for help/tips/resources in your teaching?

Today's world is about the knowledge of the whole as opposed to the knowledge of the individual. That said, most of my knowledge comes from the groups I'm involved in. The more I network and the larger I make my group, the more resources I have. And, perhaps, this is the point of October, Connected Educators' Month - expanding circles. This is the most important skill I have - the ability to find information and the ability to use that information.

So, how do I expand my group? What is in my group?

1. Google + Communities. I am a member of quite a few Google + Communities between my two main Google accounts. When I have a question directly related to work, I post it to my RRISD ITS Community. When I have a more general question, I post it to any one of my Google Educator communities and, instantly, I have answers. Not only are these communities responsive and a wealth of information, they are real people and real relationships!

2. Twitter. I joined Twitter shortly after Twitter was created. However, I did not use is very much until about a year and a half ago. With Google + Communities, it made sense that I would find information in those communities. However, with Twitter, I was overwhelmed with "how do I search for information and find it?" I understood hashtags somewhat, but not how to search them. When I discovered the Chrome extension, TweetDeck, my world changed and I was instantly able to search various hashtags that were useful to me.

3. My trainer forums. I know this is not a site, but the feedback I receive is instantaneous and it is game-changing. If I have a question about using Google or some other application, I can ask and I know I will get many responses from awesome educators. It is important to have your go-to people. Even though I don't know every one personally, they are now a community to me - a learning community.

PLNs are the way to find resources. Period.

How do you get your resources? 

No comments:

Post a Comment