Monday, October 13, 2014

Day 19: My Blogging Challenge

Welcome to day 19 of my blogging challenge. In case you missed what it's all about, you can read more about it in day 1.

Today's challenge: Name three powerful ways students can reflect on their learning. Discuss closely the one you use most often.


Since this blogging series is about reflecting, the first one I'll say should definitely be blogging. Writing is a great way to pull out thoughts and make an analysis of them. And, being on a blog is even better because you can have an audience if you so choose.

I'd also add to that list:

2. Teaching. The best way to truly understand something is to have to teach it to others. And, likewise, the best way to teach something is to be able to learn from students (of any age).

3. Talking/Social Media. I'm an advocate of social media for students for this reason. When used and taught appropriately, it can be an incredible tool for student voice and collaboration. Some of my students loved to talk to reflect while others liked to voice theirs quietly. With social media, students who are more quiet now have a large audience to hear their reflections and to converse with.

Since my students are now teachers, I can say the way I have them reflect most is through teaching and listening. When they are required to teach the concept, they understand it and provide more thorough questions.

What about your students - what are the three ways students can reflect and which one do you use the most often?

No comments:

Post a Comment