Tuesday, October 7, 2014

Day 12: My Blogging Challenge

Welcome to day 12 of my blogging challenge. In case you missed what it's all about, you can read more about it in Day 1.

Challenge: How do you envision your teaching changing over the next five years?

Sometimes, it's hard to believe that I stepped out of being a classroom teacher in the spring of 2010 - almost 5 years ago. Since that time, my views of education and my role has changed dramatically. It's hard to imagine what it will be in another 5 years.

Some change will be due to the environment - technology changes, students change, teachers change and...eventually, policies change. And, the other portion will be due to my own evolution as an educator.

I began as a classroom teacher interested in being creative. And, at my core, I am still that. I am always looking for ways to be a creative leader. However, in my journey as an educator, I have fought to get change to happen. Consequently, I continue to change my role in order to have a more direct impact on change. As a classroom teacher, I was frustrated that I could be creative, but the state tests still were not. And, other teachers were not also doing it. So, I transitioned into another role, hoping to make an impact.

Five years later, I'm working with a 3000-student high school campus who is very high-performing, helping teachers integrate technology and helping students be responsible with technology.

In another five years, (as of now), I'd like to have a more direct role on professional development. It's still an area of weakness for teachers. They aren't given the time for it and they aren't given quality, meaningful PD. Though, I also want to change the way policy-makers view education. So, I'm torn in a variety of directions - as is the dilemma of many educators.

A potential future classroom


When you fast forward five years, where do you envision your teaching? What do you envision happening? 

No comments:

Post a Comment