Monday, September 29, 2014

Day 6: My Blogging Challenge

It's day six of my blogging challenge. In case you missed what it's all about, you can read more about it in Day 1.

Today's challenge is to: Explain - what does a "good" mentor do?

I have always thought of my job as a mentor. I mentor teachers, administrators, parents, and students along their learning journey. And, each day, I strive to do the following with each


  1. Provide support - Know when to step in and when to put them in the driver's seat. When I walk in to assist teachers, many are ready for me to "just do it"; however, it is crucial that I coach them to do it on their own.
  2. Listen  - this is perhaps the most important thing I have to do. Sometimes, teachers just want to vent about their frustrations or obstacles
  3. Be a helping hand - Be the role of a facilitator, a coach, a guide. Be a helping hand rather than the driving hand. 
  4. Be flexible - Be willing to change to better meet someone's needs. 
  5. Be open - This is a difficult one. Sometimes, a teacher or student has an issue and I know a way to fix it or I am overly excited for them to try a new solution. However, I have to be open to their ideas. 

These qualities don't stop at being an ITS, but rather, stretch to mentors everywhere. So many of our jobs in education revolve around these five qualities. 

What makes a mentor to you?



No comments:

Post a Comment