Thursday, July 31, 2014

Rethinking a school year

For the first time in several years, I will not be entirely working on one campus. It's bittersweet in that I'm saying goodbye to one and giving another my full attention. With that full attention comes decisions on what to do.

During a training I was giving this week, a teacher  mentioned her frustrations after attending a training of another instructor who was "too excited." I asked her to elaborate and she explained that, because the instructor was so excited about the subject, it led to a training that was not linear or had no guiding line. In other words, the training was scattered. I'm certainly one to get "too excited."

So, in thinking about the teacher's comments, I'm also thinking of ways to contain excitement as I think about this school year and all of the changes I want to make. How do I facilitate change in a way that is clear and defined? How can I channel my excitement into a rational plan?

I'm ready to create student tech program where high school students mentor middle school and elementary kids, help fix help tickets, and provide training across the district. I'm ready to sponsor girls' coding clubs. I'm ready to implement extensive PD. And, I'm ready to take the campus by storm. But, is my campus ready? Am I ready to have a clear plan for my campus?

So, unlike my previous years, I am planning out ways to make my plans an integral part of me - to show them as not something extra or something new I'm just wanting to try, but something I'm confident in and something I'm comfortable with.


No comments:

Post a Comment