Friday, September 27, 2013

What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Last night, I helped launch Austin's own chapter of EdTech Women with a cohort of distinguished women in the edtech industry. Our mission is to help accelerate the positive impact of educational technology on learning. Therefore, we posed the question to members: What would you do if you were not afraid?

I often hear teachers say, "I'm only a third grade teacher so I can't lead a tech training" or a variety of other things implying what they cannot do. However, I like to think about - what are the things I want to change and what's stopping me from changing them? So, we asked members to think about - what are the things they would do if they were fearless and were not restricted.

It's a great question to think about in education because we talk about the changes we want to see, but few are able to deliver those changes. Why is that? I don't think it's because any of us are any more capable. I think it's because some of us are not bound by perceived boundaries.

I'd love to see tech camps kick of the school year for both students and staff (separate) and take place at semester break and at school's end. When I mention the idea to students, they are thrilled. And, when I mention giving training to my staff, they are usually thrilled. However, when I try to institute the camps, I find road blocks.

My goal, then, is to be fearless - to keep driving past those roadblocks because - isn't that what we want from our students, from our leaders, from our teachers?

#whatwouldyoudo?

No comments:

Post a Comment